Instant Pot Chili with Chicken and Beans | @thebutterhalf
Dinner tonight, fast or slow.
What if I told you could have this chili on the table in less than 30 minutes or have it simmer niiiice and slow, all day while you do your thing, BUT the catch? You only need one kitchen appliance! You wouldn't believe me, would you?
Thankfully, Abbey from The Butter Half filled me in that the Instant Pot could be used as a slow cooker as well as the more traditional pressure cooker.
BUT even more importantly she introduced me to this sweet and easy Instant Pot chili with chicken and beans. and hands down. Best. Chili. Ever.
The secret's in the sauce!
There are two secret ingredients in the chili to make is incredibly easy and make it taste insanely delicious.
Tomato sauce. and coconut sugar.
Don't run away at the thought of "added sugar". Coconut sugar is ridiculously good in chili, adding a depth of flavor and balancing out the acid from all the tomatoes. Just trust us on this one.
Instant Pot Chili with Chicken and Beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 large chicken breasts (substitute with sweet potatoes for plant-based option)
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white cooking wine
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Press the "Saute" button on Instant Pot and allow it to heat for a few minutes. Pour olive oil and onions into pan and cook until softened. Add in chicken breasts and brown on each side. Press the "Cancel" button to turn off.
- Pour in stock, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic, wine, coconut sugar, and spices. Mix well.
- Lock on lid, flip the steam release valve to "Sealing" and press "Slow Cooker" button. To cook quickly, press "Manual" on high, and set to 8 minutes. Flip the "Venting" valve once it is done. (I like to put a dish towel over the valve when it releases.) Shred chicken with two forks as needed. The chili will be somewhat liquid. To thicken, press the "Saute" button again, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. This will help reduce the liquid.
- Serve while warm with cheese and sour cream, or desired toppings. Enjoy!
Are you using #nutritionsimply yet?
We're crowdsourcing nutrition, simply. and we want YOU!
Here's how it works: Each week we'll announce via email and on Instagram (@nutritionsimply) a new #nutritionsimply project on a specific topic. You post to Insta using our photo (link it up) or create your own, and share a tip, recipe or literally anything helpful and use the hashtag #nutritionsimply in your post.
We take it from there and feature all of your smart knowledge and amazing recipes into helpful guides, articles, videos and more on nutrition simply. Take a look at the past hashtag projects!