Pumpkin Snack Cake
Prep Time 15 minutes // Cook Time 35 minutes // Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 14 slices
- 2 cups spelt flour 280g
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 cup pumpin pureè
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/4 cup aquafaba
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper or lightly coat with coconut oil.
- Warm roughly two tablespoons of coconut oil on the stove or in the microwave. Bring the almond milk and aquafaba to room temperature. In a pinch this can be done on the stove or microwave. If these ingredients are cold the coconut oil will clump when combined.
- In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients. Whisk together to ensure the leaveners are evenly distributed.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the pumpkin pureè through aquafaba until smooth. Add two tablespoons of the melted coconut oil and continue to whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just combined (refrain from over mixing).
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Use a spatula or back of a spoon to make make sure the batter is evenly distributed. Place in the middle rack of the oven for 35-40 minutes. My oven tends to run hot and the cake was done at exactly 35 minutes. To check, poke the center of the cake with a toothpick. It will come out clean when completely baked.
- Let the cake rest for 5 minutes then transfer from the pan to a cooling rack to finish cooling. Once cooled, frost the top with the cashew butter cream (recipe below). Cut into slices and enjoy!
- The cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Best if eaten within 3 days.
If necessary, you may replace the spices with one teaspoon or cinnamon and two teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice or 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice.
republished with permission from Nourished by Nutrition